practice areas

Have You Been Wrongfully Arrested?

We Will Review Your Case And Tell You If Legal Action Is Warranted

No one wants to be falsely accused of committing a crime and arrested, but that act alone by a South Carolina law enforcement officer does not constitute false arrest. In order for false arrest to occur, a police officer or an individual acting with the authority to arrest must detain a person against his or her will without probable cause. What constitutes probable cause? It is generally defined as sufficient information that supports a reasonable belief the person an officer wishes to arrest has committed an offense.

A false arrest is a violation of state and federal laws, including the Fourth Amendment — a person's right to be protected against unreasonable seizure. Robert V. Phillips Attorney at Law represents victims of false arrest and other actions of police misconduct. A person who is subjected to false arrest is entitled to compensation for loss of liberty as well as the physical and emotional pain of being falsely arrested. If you were injured or restrained for an extensive amount of time, you may be able to recover additional damages.

We Handle Cases Other Attorneys Shy Away From

Robert is among a handful of lawyers in South Carolina who thoroughly understand the nuances of civil rights law and how to prosecute a civil case for false arrest. Because of our extensive experience pursuing these types of cases, we receive a number of referrals from attorneys throughout the state and from around the country.

It is important to note that false arrest does not have to involve a law enforcement officer. A security guard or any private citizen who restricts your freedom of movement without probable cause may be liable for false arrest.

If you believe you have been wrongfully arrested, contact us to schedule a free consultation. We will review the facts of your case and recommend the best steps to take. If we represent you in a false arrest case, you will only pay an attorney fee if we collect a financial settlement or judgment for you.