practice areas

Violations By Private Security Personnel

Security guards and others who are asked to maintain a safe environment at a business, stadium or other public venue, or in a private residence or gated community are provided significant discrepancy regarding the use of force. However, if a private security guard or bouncer oversteps his or her role by using excessive force and causes serious injury or death, the injured party or surviving family members can seek compensation through a civil lawsuit.

Robert V. Phillips Attorney at Law represents individuals in South Carolina who are injured by private security workers or family members who have a loved one who is killed by a private security worker. Robert, a partner at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, has recovered numerous multimillion-dollar settlements and verdicts for his clients since beginning his legal career in 2000.

How Do I Know If Someone Used Excessive Force?

Security guards are not given the same leeway to use force as police officers receive, nor are they granted the qualified immunity defense that provides many law enforcement officers protection against prosecution. Security workers are allowed to use force to remove someone from private property, but generally only to the degree that force is being used against them. For example, a bouncer is allowed to remove a belligerent patron by force, but is not allowed to physically harm the individual once he or she has been removed simply as a point of emphasis.

These cases can go "cold" fast. If you have been injured by a private security worker who used excessive force, it is important to contact our knowledgeable personal injury lawyer as soon as possible so we can start collecting evidence and speaking with witnesses.

Meet With Us To Determine Next Steps

Call 803-327-7825 or use our online contact form to schedule a free consultation. We will review the facts of your case and provide a candid assessment of what you can expect. If we pursue a lawsuit on your behalf, we will only collect an attorney fee if we recover compensation for you.